Saturday, January 16, 2016

Tips for Driving ( Not for my kid)

I was thinking recently about how there are only a few more years until my daughter will learn how to drive and it got me thinking about my own driver education. So here are some tips that I will not share with my daughter.

1. Start young.  I did. I think I was 13 maybe 14.

2. Have a friend teach you how to drive. My BFF Sue and I took the car out many times.  Sometimes, legally.  There were a few that were not.  ( I swear Sue, the car became possessed!!!)

3.  Drive to Driver's Ed whether you are a licensed driver or not.  How else was I supposed to get there?

4.  When you inherit a car, don't question what rolls around in the trunk you can't open.

5.  Learning how to drive a manual transmission in a world of hills is scary!!

6.  Mastering the manual transmission is a fun skill to show off!  No brakes needed!!!

7.  Yes, it is possible to sleep in your car, if needed.  This is especially helpful if you weren't where your folks thought you would be.

8.  Don't ever admit it, but AAA can really save your life. Locked out, ran out of gas, battery died.....all in very inconvenient places.

9.  You can fit way more people than is allowed in your car.

10. When in need, beg for gas money. I walked around with a can labeled, "Meg's Gas Fund", and got at least a few bucks.

No comments: